Tuesday 1 January 2008

Fabulous Split

Yesterday on SCS it was Try a New Technique day. The technique was called Split Negative BUT we had to do it with a twist! You were not to use black and white, you had to use colours.

I chose to use Soft Sky and Old Olive to go with the Fall Flowers DP I had pulled out of the drawer.

This was my first time attempting this technique but I rather like how they turned out. I didn't get the flower centered on the 3.5 x 3.5 piece of cardstock very well so when I cut the paper in half, the flower wasn't really in half...LOL! So I tried to mask my mistake by stamping a smaller flower and cutting it in half to help hide the center. Think it worked pretty well.

Both of these are thank you cards which I'm in need of after the holiday gift exchange.
Are you all getting tired of this stamp set yet? I'm not...I know this is going to be a very well used set this year!

I liked this simple sketch that Lauren made up. I was able to use up some of my little scrap papers that are laying around.

This card uses Pretty in Pink as the base. Wild Wasabi is the back panel with small pieces of Bashful Blue, Regal Rose and a misc piece of DP.

I popped the flower and the scalloped bird layers up on dimensionals.

Thanks for stopping by! I hope that everyone had a safe and Happy New Year. Best wishes to you and your family for a happy and healthy 2008!

15 comments:

Corie said...

Happy New Year!!

These are so goreous!!!

Lauren (mytime) said...

I love that Dare to be fabulous set! I have wanted it for a while. YOur split negative is WAY cool. I will ahve tot try that.

Your sketch challenge card is super cute too! Love how you did the sentiment in the flower as well. Colors are SO spring! We are expecting 5 inches of snow this afternoon.

Lori said...

I love the big flower using that technique--so cool!

Anonymous said...

1. simply adorable colors on your split negative with a twist, dawn.
also love the use of this fab flower,
tfs,
chat


Happy New Year!!!

Rhonda Kelly said...

Love the split negative card! The colors are just great. I have not tried one of those yet so I might just have to take the leap and see what I can come up with.
Happy New Year!

Alhambra Club said...

Your split negative cards are fantastic, love that color combo.

Donna said...

What a great idea! Just love the cards and the colors

Deb said...

I love your negative cards, they look great, fabulous for thank you cards too, I need a few of those just now!
Happy New Year!

Rose Ann said...

You did a beautiful job with your split-negative flowers, and I love the colors! Love your adorable bird too (I just ordered that set, 'cause I could resist no longer.)

Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

Oh girl! I missed so much on your blog. Your creations are gorgeous!!!!
I should be blog hopping again from now on!
Happy New Year
Hugs and smiles

Sharon (notimetostamp) said...

LOVE your split negative cards -- what a great flower for that and the paper you chose is just perfect -- they are truly gorgeous cards -- and two for the price of one -- LOL!! Great work!!!

Becca said...

wonderfully done....great technique

Happy New Year, Bela

Anonymous said...

Oh I love your split neg girlie .. Just fabulous !! Love your sketch design too... that birdie is sooo cute .
Love ya
Dawn Griffith

Anonymous said...

Wow, that first card is stunning!!! I need to try that split negative technique!
Nope, I'll never tire of the bird cards, they are all so cute!
Happy New Year Dawn!!

Caroline LeBel, Stampin' Up!® Demonstrator said...

oh, oh, oh...LOVE this!! thanks for the inspiration :)